Conditional Exercise 1
If / When
1. ______________ I am late to work, my boss gets very angry. That is why I am always on time.
2. ______________ I leave work, I usually go to the fitness center to work out.
3. ______________ he eats, he tries to choose healthy foods.
4. His car is very reliable, and he rarely has any trouble with it. But he has had a couple of difficulties in the past. ______________ his car breaks down or he has any problems, he calls the auto club.
5. His car is terrible! It always breaks down. ______________ his car breaks down or he has any problems, he calls the auto club.
6. Mary gets six weeks paid vacation a year. She loves to travel. ______________ she goes on vacation, she always goes somewhere exotic.
7. Diane works harder than anyone I know. I don’t think she has taken a day off in three years. But she does really love to travel. ______________ she goes on vacation, she goes somewhere exotic.
8. He loves going to the movies. ______________ he goes to the movies, he always gets a large popcorn with tons of butter.
9. She hates TV. She thinks television is a waste of time. ______________ she watches any television at all, it is usually a documentary or a news program.
10. My friend always keeps in touch by mail. ______________ I get a letter, I usually write back immediately.
Conditional Exercise 2
Did you hear about that guy who won 180 million dollars in the lottery? If I (win) ________ that much money, I (quit) ________ my job the next day. I (travel) ________ around the world and (stay) ________ in the most luxurious hotels. If I (want) ________ anything, I (buy) ________ it. If I (see) ________ a beautiful Mercedes that I wanted, I (buy) ________ it. If I wanted to stay in a beautiful hotel and the hotel (be) ________ full, I (buy) ________ the hotel and make them give me a room. I (can) ________ do anything in the world if I had 180 million dollars … Oh, I am starting to sound a little materialistic… Well… I (do) ________ good things with the money as well. If anybody (need) ________ help, I (give) ________ them some money to help them out. I (donate) ________ money to charities. I (give) ________ money to help support the arts. If I (win) ________ that much money, I wouldn’t keep it all for myself. I (help) ________ as many people as possible.
Conditional Exercise 3
Michael: Sharon, I am having some problems at work, and I was wondering if you might be able to give me some advice.
Sharon: Sure, what’s the problem?
Michael: The computer sales business is more difficult than I thought. When customers (come) ________ in to look at the new computer models, they often (ask) ________ me which model they should buy. If they (ask) ________ me to suggest a model, I (be) ________ usually quite honest with them. Most computer users don’t need a very advanced computer; they just need a basic model which they can use for word-processing, bookkeeping and Internet access. If I am honest and I (recommend) ________ one of the cheaper models, my boss (get) ________ angry at me. He always says that a good salesperson can convince a customer to buy one of the more expensive advanced models. I don’t really feel comfortable doing that. What would you do in my situation? Isn’t it wrong to make them buy something which they don’t need?
Sharon: I think you should help your customers make an intelligent decision. If I (be) ________ you, I (educate) ________ the customers. I (teach) ________ them how to make a good decision by themselves. I (make, not) ________ the decision for them. When a customer (ask) ________ a question, answer it honestly. You don’t need to lie to the customer, and you don’t need to make the decision for them.
Michael: When I (sell) ________ an inexpensive computer to a customer, my boss (complain) ________ that I am not trying hard enough. What would you tell him?
Sharon: If I (be) ________ in your situation, I (tell) ________ him that I wasn’t comfortable forcing customers to buy products which they don’t need. Tell him that you don’t want to lie to honest people, and that you want to provide them with good service. Remind him that when customers (get) ________ good service, they (return) ________ to a store and spend more money.
Michael: I think that’s a great idea. He (might) ________ change his mind if I said that to him. Maybe he (realize) ________ that good service is the most important thing to consumers. And, of course, I (feel) ________ much more comfortable if I (be) ________ able to be honest with the customers. Thanks for your advice.
Conditional Exercise 4
After I graduated from university, I applied for a marketing position with a prominent bank with branches all over the world. I didn’t get the job because they wanted someone who spoke Spanish fluently. I (could, take) ________ Spanish in high school, but I didn’t. I took an acting class instead. If I (take) ________ Spanish, I (get) ________ the job. Just imagine, if I had actually gotten the job, I (move) ________ to Spain. My entire life (could, go) ________ in a totally different direction. If I had accepted the job and moved to Spain, I (might, meet) ________ a Spanish woman and (get) ________ married. If that had actually happened, I probably (stay) ________ in Spain. We (might, have) ________ children. Unfortunately, I didn’t get the job and I didn’t go to Spain. I got a boring job and I live alone. If I had just taken Spanish, my life (be) ________ much more interesting.
Conditional Exercise 5
1. If I (have) ________ enough money, I (backpack) ________ around Europe. But, unfortunately, I am broke.
2. If I (have) ________ enough money in my twenties, I (backpack) ________ around Europe. But, unfortunately, I was broke.
3. She would have been here earlier if she (miss, not) ________ the train.
4. Thank you for helping me study. If you hadn’t tutored me, I (fail) ________ the test.
5. If I exercised more, I (be) ________ much more fit and I (have, not) ________ so many health problems.
6. It’s too bad Frank isn’t with us. If he (be) ________ here, he (can, translate) ________ the letter for us.
7. Stop asking me what Joe bought you for your birthday. Even if I (know) ________ what he bought you, I (tell, not) ________ you.
8. My business trip to California was only two days. If the trip (be) ________ longer, I (visit) ________ my friends in Los Angeles.
9. I’m sorry, I didn’t know you were allergic to chocolate. If I (know) ________ , I (make) ________ you a vanilla birthday cake.
10. Did you hear that Margaret won $2,000 in Las Vegas, and she used the money to buy a new washing machine and dryer? How boring! If I (win) ________ that much money, I (go) ________ to Tahiti for a couple of weeks.
11. Sally’s alarm didn’t go off, and she was almost late to the interview. If she (arrive) ________ late, she (might, not, get) ________ the job.
12. Jane is polite and well mannered. She (say, never) ________ anything rude or insulting. That is just the kind of person she is.
13. Martha said that Paul called Nick a jerk at the party. I don’t believe that! Paul is polite and well mannered. He (say, never) ________ anything rude or insulting like that.
14. Penny’s baby daughter almost drank some of the furniture polish which was sitting on the coffee table. If she (drink, actually) ________ the polish, she (could, get) ________ sick or even died.
15. If I (can, go) ________ anywhere in the world, I (go) ________ to Egypt to see the pyramids.
Conditional Exercise 6
Top of Form
I am not sure what I am going to do when I (graduate) ________ , but I do know I want to travel. I am probably going to work at my father’s restaurant for a few months during the summer. When I (have) ________ enough money, I (go) ________ to Europe to visit some friends I met while studying.
I have always wanted to visit Europe. I especially want to visit Sweden. If I (get) ________ to go to Sweden, I (stay) ________ with my friend Gustav. His family has a house on an island in a lake near Stockholm. I am sure we (spend) ________ a few days on the island if weather conditions (allow) ________ .
I am not sure what other countries I will visit. If it (be) ________ not too expensive, I (spend) ________ a couple of days in Paris sightseeing. If I (go) ________ to Paris, I (climb) ________ the Eiffel Tower, (take) ________ a boat tour of the Seine, and (photograph) ________ daily life in the Latin Quarter.